- What information we collect from users;
- How we use information we collect from users;
- When we may use a user’s details to contact them;
- Whether we disclose the user’s details to anyone else; and
- The user’s choices regarding the personal information the user provides to us.
1. What information will we collect about users?
We may receive personal information about users. This can consist of information such as the user’s name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number, depending on the activity. By submitting their details, users enable us (and where applicable our contractors, sub-contractors, licensees, distributors, associates and agents) to provide users with the services, activities or online content users select.
2. How will we use the information we collect about users?
We will use users’ personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- To provide our services, activities or online content and to deal with user’s requests and enquiries;
- For “service administration purposes”, which means that we may contact users for reasons related to the service, activity or online content the user has signed up for;
- To contact users about a submission they have made, including any content users provide;
- To provide users with information about our services, activities or online content;
- To personalise the way our content is presented to users;
- To use IP addresses to identify the location of users and to block disruptive use;
- To analyse and improve the services offered on our website; and
- To provide users with the most user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
Where we propose using a user’s personal information for any other uses we will ensure that we notify the user first. The user will also be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw the user’s consent for the use of their personal information for purposes other than those listed above.
3. When will we contact users?
We may contact a user:
- In relation to any service, activity or online content users have signed up for in order to ensure that we can deliver the services to the user;
- In relation to any correspondence we receive from users or any comment or complaint users make about our products or services;
- In relation to any contribution users have submitted to us;
- To invite users to participate in surveys about our services (participation is always voluntary); and
- For marketing purposes, where users have agreed to this.
Local pages will give users detailed information about how we will contact users in relation to specific services, activities or online content.
4. Will users be contacted for marketing purposes?
We will only use a user’s information for marketing purposes, or to promote new services, activities or online content where users have agreed to this.
5. Will we share a user’s personal information with anyone else?
We will keep a user’s information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described below.
Generally, we will only use a user’s information within our organisation and our approved contractors, sub-contractors, licensees, distributors, associates and agents. However, sometimes we use third parties to process users’ information on our behalf. We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions.
6. How long will we keep a user’s personal information?
We will hold a user’s personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract the user holds with us or our corporate retention schedule (a database that defines which documents should be kept and for how long).
7. Can a user find out what personal information we hold about the user?
Under the Data Protection Act the user has the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about the user and to have any inaccuracies corrected.