The Huthwaite VBA Negotiation skills programme is for people who negotiate regularly – whether they come from sales, procurement, or any other part of the modern organisation.
A typical participant in this programme negotiates about a relatively small range of issues (usually not more than half a dozen). They do so quite frequently and often deal with another party in the form of a one-to-one conversation.
The negotiation topics are often fairly similar from one day to the next which means that they will have the autonomy or mandate to agree terms without referral.
The learning will give your people tools and skills to avoid concessions, reach better deals, achieve better prices, sustain good relationships with customers and/or suppliers, and approach all the negotiations that they typically face with sharper negotiation skills and renewed confidence.
To keep up to date with latest research into negotiation skills and insights follow our Negotiation LinkedIn page.
By the end of this Huthwaite VBA Negotiation skills programme, participants will:
- Understand the VBA model and the DNA of a world class negotiation
- Understand the relationship between selling and negotiating and the overlaps
- Know how to prepare and plan in a structured way, using the VBA Success Model
- Know how to develop strategies and tactics to take the negotiation to the desired outcome
- Understand where power comes from in negotiations and learn how to bargain
- Be able to maintain a positive climate
- Be able to calculate the other party’s position and deal effectively with negative tactics
- Compare their own behaviours with those of the researched Success Model and adopt them successfully
- Create an Action Plan for continued development of the skills learnt.
The VBA Negotiation Skills programme is a two-day classroom based programme which is preceded by approximately two hours of e-learning.
In the classroom, delegates do short exercises to practise the behaviours which are key to effective negotiation and get short inputs from the trainer on key negotiation topics.
Delegates also prepare, plan, conduct and evaluate small group negotiations, during which they observe, analyse and give feedback on each other’s negotiating behaviours, using the VBA Success Model.
The two-day negotiating skills programme is staffed by one Huthwaite trainer for up to twelve delegates.
We can align the event to your own real world and therefore maximise the return on investment. These include:
- Focus on buy-side, sell-side or mixed
- Conduct a pre-programme consultation to assess gaps in processes, skills and confidence levels using the Huthwaite Negotiation Quick Test
- Customise the negotiation simulations
- Coaching to help embed the training
- Real deal workshops using a Huthwaite coach.